WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WISDOM AND UNDERSTANDING IN PROVERBS
The difference between wisdom and understanding has been a confusion amongst most people because of similarities of these terms. The difference between wisdom and understanding on this article was considered from the biblical point of view and not the philosophical meaning of wisdom and understanding.
Also, the difference between wisdom, knowledge and understanding were listed properly for your comprehension. Some definition say that wisdom is the application of knowledge. What then is understanding? Knowledge is acquired. The way of wisdom is a hidden. In this article, we considered the biblical definition on wisdom, knowledge and understating. Also, we considered the difference between wisdom and understanding and overview of wisdom and types of wisdom.
What is Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding?
The wisdom meaning can be derived from different context. There is ancient wisdom, Hebrew meaning of wisdom, biblical meaning of wisdom and philosophical meaning of wisdom. Also, on the next paragraph gives an explanation of these terms.
Wisdom meaning: wisdom is the application of a body of knowledge to achieve a particular result.
Ancient wisdom: the ancient wisdom used in philosophy or bible has a root word or primitive word “wise” or “intelligence” or “skill”.
Biblical meaning of wisdom: the meaning of wisdom according to strong number and Hebrew dictionary H2451 and חָכְמָה, or chokmâh, or khok-maw’, which translates to SKILLFULNESS or BEING SKILLFUL. According to the Hebrew word מַנְדַּע or manda‛ or man-dah’ and bible strong number H4093, wisdom means intelligence and consciousness (this form refers to science, knowledge and understanding). According to string number H5105 and Hebrew word neh-heere’, neh-hee-roo’, wisdom means light.
Knowledge is the body of information that is capable of building, impacting or degenerate the mind of Humans. Knowledge is power to him that possesses it. Understanding is the digestion of information or knowledge in order to apply or produce or recreate a particular thing. The definition of understanding is beyond the face value, it gives meaning into application of knowledge.
Understanding is the well spring of life ((Proverbs 16:22). A man of understanding is of a calm spirit ((Proverbs 17:27). Understanding draws out counsel from the heart of a man which like deep water.
What are the attributes of wisdom?
According to James 3:13-17, heavenly wisdom are attributed as follows:
- Good conduct (James 3:13)
- Meekness (James 3:13)
- Willingness to yield
- Full of mercy and good fruit
- Without hypocrisy and partiality
What are the Types of Wisdom?
Earthly wisdom is fully manifested in the works of the flesh such as envy, self-seeking and bitterness. According to Proverbs 1, 8 and 9:1-12 shows that wisdom is personified. Also, Christ is the wisdom of Christ. Therefore, the attribute of wisdom from proverbs shows all that Christ offers.
The types of wisdom according to James 3:13-18 are:
- Heavenly wisdom
- Demonic or earthly wisdom or sensual wisdom
What makes one wise? (How Can I Get Wisdom)
Understanding wisdom: you can understand and access wisdom in 3 ways
- God is all wise God and the only wise God (Romans 16:27, Psalm 104:24 and 1 Timothy 1:17).
- The Lord gives wisdom (Proverbs)
- The Bible is the wisdom bank of God (Luke 11:49).
- Bible contains the story and life account of proven wise people in scripture such as Joseph and Daniel (Gen 41:39).
- Through sacrifices that brings encounter such as King Solomon.
- Through the Spirit of wisdom (Deuteronomy 34:9).
- Through the laying on of hand (Deuteronomy 34:9).
Definitions of Wisdom- What is Wisdom?
According to Pastor (Dr) Paul Enenche on Understanding Wisdom:
- Wisdom is knowing what to do, doing what you know and getting desired results under given circumstances and situations of life.
- Wisdom is identifying and engaging in the most profitable course of action within a given set of options or alternatives. (Or wisdom is profitable and valuable decision making capacity.
- Wisdom is the solution oriented, productive engagement of the mind for the handling of life’s problems and challenges.
- Wisdom is living, functioning and acting with a clear picture of action in view.
- Wisdom is openness to and leveraging on superior knowledge, insight, counsel and input to achieve sweat less and stress less results in life.
- Wisdom is profitable and resourceful living through reasonable thinking and action.
- Wisdom is the maximum utilization of life’s time, energy, abilities and resources for purposeful existence and destiny actualization (Psalm 90:12, Ephesians 5:16-16).
- Wisdom is living in today with tomorrow in mind or planning for tomorrow. It is using the blessings of today to handle the burdens of tomorrow.
- Wisdom is the capacity to utilize what is available in order to realize what is desirable.
- Wisdom is the capacity to minimize stress and maximize success through focusing, on core leadership responsibilities, while delegating operational area to available and capable human resources.
According to the scriptures: wisdom is the principal element of life. Wisdom is the person of God which is Christ.
Wise Saying: Wise Sayings about Life, Spiritual Wisdom Quotes, Inspirational Words Of Wisdom
- Wisdom says sees possibilities out of difficulties of life.
- Ordinary people live life to chance while wise people live their life to choice or vision.
- Access to insight from the word of God equals wisdom.
- Wise people invest time, use abilities and utilize resources for purpose achievement.
- God’s favor can take you higher but His wisdom keep and sustains you there.
The way of wisdom
- The fear of the Lord (Psalm 111:10 and Job 28:28).
- The word of God (Luke 11:49, 2 Timothy 3:15, Jeremiah 8:9).
- The Spirit of God (Isaiah 1:2, Deuteronomy 34: 9).
Difference between Wisdom And Understanding
According to the scriptures, the difference between wisdom and understanding in proverbs are:
- Wisdom is found on the lips of those who has understanding (Proverbs 10:13).
- Wisdom is heart based while knowledge is soul based. (Proverbs 2:10).
- Wisdom is comes from God while understanding and knowledge proceeds from His mouth (Proverbs 2:6).
- Wisdom is divinely derived while knowledge can be derived from book and understanding comes from wisdom acting upon knowledge.
- Understanding amplifies the cry and voice of wisdom (Proverbs 8:1).
- Wisdom rests on the heart on the heart of him who has understanding (Proverbs 14:33).
- Wisdom is in the sight of him who has understanding ((Proverbs 17:24).
- He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; he who keeps understanding will find good (Proverbs 19:8)
- Wisdom is a builder while understanding forms or establishes thing by bring it to reality (Proverbs 24:3).
- Wisdom originates ideas and things, understanding forms or establishes thing while knowledge employed on improving thing and ideas (Proverbs 3:19-20).
What comes first wisdom, knowledge and understanding?
According to Proverbs 2: 6-7, 4: 5-9, wisdom comes first before knowledge and understanding. Wisdom precedes knowledge, knowledge precedes understanding. Understanding is always the product of wisdom and knowledge. A man of wisdom has understands all things. A man of knowledge may lack understanding while a man of wisdom possesses knowledge and understanding. A prudent man acts with knowledge and is crowned with knowledge (Proverbs 13:16 and 14:18).