Detail Explanation and sermon On The Fear Of The Lord
Walking in the fear of God is the duty of man. According to the conclusion of Solomon’s research in Ecclesiastics 12:13, states clearly that fearing God and keeping His commandments is the whole duty of man. The meaning of the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom according to Proverbs 9 verses 10 is: the fear of God is your entry point to the manifold wisdom of God through Christ which gives you the knowledge of the Holy one, thereby making you hate evil and obeying His commandments. You realize that Christ is the wisdom of God and we are the wisdom of God in Christ Jesus.
So when we live in the fear of God, we stand to have the right to operate from the wisdom of God which is Christ. If you want to know and learn how to fear God, do this: Love His son and keep His commandments as written in the bible. The fear of God is so important because you cannot live a Christian life without fearing God by keeping His commandments.
What Is The Meaning Of The Fear Of The Lord
The Fear of the lord meaning has many definitions when considered from the biblical point of view. The fact is that you cannot define the meaning of the term the fear of the Lord without first, from the scripture. There are several scriptures or verses on the fear of the Lord and these verses are used to address the challenge.
Proverbs 8 verses 13: the Lord fears to hate evil; pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth.
Proverbs 14 verses 27: the fear of the Lord is the fountain of life, to turn one way from the snares of death.
Proverbs 9 verses 10: the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Proverbs 15 verses 33: the fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom.
Job 28 verses 28: and to the man He said, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to depart from evil is understanding.
Psalm 111 verses 10: the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, a good understanding have all those who do His commandments.
These definitions above are self-explained, if you are a student of the bible, you should take serious note of the keywords in these definitions. Now, when you consider these definitions above as stated from these scriptural verses, you will understand that there are two keywords that the fear of God is associated with. This means that you cannot explain the term under consideration without understanding their meaning and concepts. These terms are wisdom and God’s commandments.
The bible says that wisdom is the principal thing, it is a builder and prolongs life (Proverbs 4:5-9, 5:1-2, 9:1, 11). According to proverbs 10:13, wisdom is found in the lips of those who have understanding. Proverbs 16: 22, defines understanding as a wellspring of life to him who has. Now, wisdom is always together with understanding and dwell with a prudence which helps in finding out knowledge and discretion (Proverbs 8). Also, Proverbs 8, reveals wisdom as a person who is Christ Jesus. If you study the passage, you will understand, that it was Wisdom that was the mastermind in creation.
Proverbs 24: 3-7 reveals that through wisdom a house is built and that it is lofty for a fool. It is also an inheritance to those who see the sun. It strengthens the wise more than ten rulers in the city (Ecclesiastics 7:19). Ecclesiastics 7: 11-12, creates a disparity between wisdom and money which is that wisdom is a defence and money too but the excellence of knowledge is that wisdom gives life to those that have it while money does not. Wisdom could be sensual or Godly, you can always receive wisdom by asking God (James 1:5, 3:13-18).
To fear God is not different from doing the commandments of the Lord. Therefore, the commandment of the Lord is to keep His commands. All the commandments of the Lord are faithful and are exceedingly broad (Psalm 119: 86, 96). God’s commandments are not only the Ten Commandments. The Lord’s commandments are truth and His word and Spirit is truth (psalm 119:151, John 17:17, 1 John 5:6). Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life and therefore, His commandments should be your delight (John 14:6, Psalm 119:143, 47-48, 35, 10-11).
According to Psalm 19: 7-8, the fear of the Lord and the commandments of the Lord shares the same attribute which is purity. The commandments of the Lord are not far rather, they are with us and they are not burdensome (Deuteronomy 30:11-16, 1 John 5:3). His commandments make us pleasing before Him sight and it is a gateway to us receiving whatever we ask God (1 John 3:22-23, John 13:34).
The proof that you love God is that you believe in Christ and walk in His ways which are given in His commandments (love and obedience). Also, the way you know that God is abiding in you is by keeping His commandments. Therefore, our intimacy with Christ is established in our love and obedience to His commands through our fellowship with the Holy Spirit (1 John 3:24, 4:12-16, 5:1-3).
What Are The Benefits Of The Fear Of God
There are several benefits to fearing God. One thing about the kingdom of God is that nothing goes unrewarded. These are some of the benefits of fearing God by loving and keeping His commands.
- Longevity: the fear of the Lord prolongs our days on earth (Proverbs 10:27, 23:17-18, Psalm 121:5-8, 119:115-118, 118:17-18).
- Preservation, and well-being: Moses speaking in Deuteronomy 6:24 stated that fearing God always is for our good and through it, God might preserve us. Also in Deuteronomy 5:29, God said that if mankind will fear Him, He will be well with them.
- Direction: the fear of the Lord leads to life. This means that, fearing God gives us the wisdom and counsel to the path of life such as purpose and at last eternal life in heaven. You also need to remember that the path of life is like a gold mine, you need the wisdom to guide you and you get it by fearing God (Job 28, Proverbs 19:23, 21:21,22:4, Jeremiah 10:23).
- Confidence and deliverance from death: fearing God guarantees refuge to the children of GOD (Psalm 33:18-19, 115:10-13).
- God’s delight and a worshiper: fearing God makes you His pleasure. This is because your life becomes a sweet savor to His nostrils. He delights in you because through fearing God you become a worshiper (psalm 147:11 and 5:7).
- You possess wisdom: through fearing God, you possess wisdom and understanding.
- Divine provision: those that fear the Lord lack nothing because the Lord provides all their need according to His riches in glory (psalm 34:8-10).
- According to Psalm 112: 1-end, psalm 24: 12-13, (wealth and prosperity): those who fears the Lord shall have mighty descendants, riches and wealth are their possession, God’s righteousness dwells amongst them, His presence dwells in them, and his authority will be exalted in honour.
- You become a custodian of God’s secrets: when you fear the Lord, He becomes intimate with you. At this point He can share His secrets or counsel with you. The bible says that the secret of the Lord are with them that fear Him. He will also show you His covenant. Example is seen when the Lord shared His secrets with Abraham concerning sodium and Gomorrah that they negotiated. It is the glory of the Lord to conceal matters and glory to men to search it out (Psalm 24:14, Genesis 18:16-21).
- When you fear the Lord, He will teach you in the way He chooses (Psalm 25:12-13).
- Angelic protection: when you fear the Lord, the Angels of the Lord will encamp around you. They will also deliver you in problems (Psalm 34:7).
- God becomes attentive to your words and puts you to remembrance: according to Malachi 3:16-18, the Lord records the saying of those that fear Him into the book of remembrance. Also, the same passage reveals that fearing God brings discernment.
- Healing: Malachi 4: 2-3 reveals that fearing God’s name hasten His healing toward His people. It declares that the sun of righteousness shall arise on those that fear Him with His healing wing. You shall also have victory over the wicked one.
Recommended audio sermons for you.
These audio sermons will help you understand more on this subject matter, click on them to start downloading all in second.
- Download how to study the Old Testament by Apostle Arome Osayi
- Download does God know you by Apostle Johnson Suleman
- Download understanding the gospel by Apostle Joshua Selman
- Download audio teaching about the word of God by Apostle Joshua Selman
- Amazing Facts: Click To Read The Biography Of Pastor Femi Lazarus